Monday, December 31, 2007

the future freaks me out.

This blog is going to be a two parter. But both parts will come at once. Does that make sense? Oh well.

PART ONE: 2007 [the amendment]

It has been brought to my attention that I may or may not have left some important people and places in my last entry. You know the one about 2007 sucking?

Although some things sucked pretty hardcore this year, there were some really great things. In no particular order:

Kat and I grew exponentially closer and a beautiful friendship has blossomed. She's moving in a matter of days and that makes me all sorts of sad. But, you know, c'est la vie and all that jazz. We've had a spectacular year together. She's one of my favorite photo companions who taught me the true importance of keeping your verb fresh. Observe.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


That was a good night. We ran around my building at maybe 2am doing a photo opp. We more or less forced Jessy to take pictures of us. She was tired and wanted to kill us every time we asked for another shot. But the end results are worth it I think.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Jarvis was there too. We had a blast. So, yeah, that was a good time. Thank you Kat, Jarvis, Jessy, sweet ass old apartment building.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I also forgot to mention in the last post about how my life changed on September 14th. That's the day I met JP. The clouds parted and the sunlight came bursting through, etc. etc.

Seriously though, we clicked immediately and have become fast [best] friends. You may or may not have noticed the other times I've mentioned her as being "awesome".

I am so very grateful for all of the amazing friends I have in my life. I am a very lucky girl.

P.S. JP is amazing!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I could really go on and on about how amazing my friends are, but I'd really like to break it up into maybe different segments over the course of different posts. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

P.S. I have an amazing family too. I just wanna mention that. I will most def try and elaborate on that sometime soon as well. Maybe I'll make a collage of all the people who have changed my life for the better. If you know me at all you know I am full of empty promises, so don't hold your breath or anything. Just know that if you are reading this you are probably loved very much by yours truly and I thank you kindly for your time and patience and for being in my life.

Phew.

What I really wanna do is get to the next part, because it's so fun.

WAIT! One more thing. This is still one of my favorite things. Also, I am very aware of the fact that I over use that phrase. That also includes the following: Holla!, [fill in the blank, usually food] is changing my life right now, are you serious?, cunt bag, douchetard, i know, right?...etc.

Anyway, this is great. You've probs already seen it before though.



PART TWO: Since we're coming up on 2008 here, why the hell can't I take a jet pack to work?

Remember The Jetsons?



That show was awesome. After a little research I discovered that the show was supposed to take place in a few different time periods. It has a lot to do with the fact that the creators and producers were a little sketchy on details, even back in the 60's. Regardless, one of the time periods places The Jetsons in the present.

Clearly, our lives are nothing like that show. Sometimes, I wish they were. There are times, almost daily, when I wish I could just push a button and my breakfast would appear, or that I could brush my teeth and comb my hair at the same time without using either of my hands. That would be awesome.

Here are some things we assumed we'd have by now, but will most definfitely not have in 2008:

JET PACKS

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Did you ever see The Rocketeer? Well I did. That movie was the shit.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I haven't seen the movie in a really long time, but I remember it being awesome. And my memory is always 100% accurate, so, I mean...obvs. Yes. It is/was awesome.



Since I began this entry which was literally days and days ago, I have wanted to watch that movie. But I can't find it anywhere! And when I say that, I actually mean that I have not even made an attempt. I'm just assuming that I won't find it since the movie was made in 1991 and Karma and I have a sort of love/hate relationship going at all times. So, you know, I'm just gonna assume that it will be impossible to find.

But for real, how amazing would it be to have a jet pack? I mean, asside for the up front risks of using it improperly or losing control and then crashing and maybe even dying. So, there's always that. But really, how hard could a jet pack be? Although now that I'm putting somewhat serious thought into this, I'd probs be terrified and it would just collect dust in my apt, which wouldn't be hard because I have hard wood floors.

But, in all seriousness, getting picked up, as in, hoisted into the air by another person is by far, one of my least favorite things. Ever. I hate it. I am always terrified that the person will drop me. Jarvis has threatened to pick me up on numerous occasions and I immediately grew terrified. He settled for chasing me around my apt building one time. Which, btw, is another one of my least favorite things. I hate being chased. It is terrifying and creepy and I really, really hate it.

Anyway, I imagine jet packs to feel much like being picked up, only, you know, faster and what not. So, maybe I wouldn't like it so much. But think of all the time I would save, how much more time I could devote to wasting time. It would be awesome. And that's why I'm pissed that we don't have those.

You know what else I wish we had?

HOVER BOARDS

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Remember Back To The Future? Me too. That movie was also pretty fantastic. Hover Boards were like skateboards with no wheels. If you don't remember, go check it out. And by "it", I mean the movie. Actually, watch all of them.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Now, I don't even like skate boarding. Probs cause I suck at it. But, I feel that I would catch on much quicker with a Hover Board. Who wouldn't? I mean, we're in the future. Things that deal with "hovering" should come naturally, like space travel...


SPACE TRAVEL, AS IN, VACATION

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Lost In Space was the shit.



I wasn't alive when it originally aired, but I have seen re-runs and the movie they made in the 90's was alright. Lacey Chabert is cute. See:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Cute.

Anyway, back to the future [i mean, now]. Back in the 50's and 60's everyone thought by now we would be doing the following things:

WEARING SILVER--ALWAYS

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Hot, ps.

IN OUTER SPACE--LIKE, AS IN, A JOB OR VACATION, BASICALLY

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


and HAVING ROBOTS AS FAITHFUL SERVANTS--AND ALSO AS SIDEKICKS WITH DRY HUMORS

Photobucket

Why don't we effing have this stuff yet? I want to have a robot do stuff for me. AND I want a machine to brush my teeth, style my hair and scratch my ass all at the same time, freeing up my hands for, i dunno, making an omlette, or playing the guitar. No, wait, maybe I want a sandwich instead.

The point is, I really think the scientists (do we still have those?) need to get cracking on all this crap. I mean, seriously. I want a robot. I want it more than I wanted a talking mouse growing up. And yes, I wanted a talking mouse really, really bad once upon a time/still kind of want one now.

Imagine all of the things I could do if I didn't have to worry about wasting time devoting myself to one tedious activity at a time? I could write more for this blog and more frequently if I didn't lose at least 1-2 hours of my time to mundane daily activities like showering, dressing and preparing food.

Also, space travel would be loads of fun. I mean, I'm not the biggest fan of wearing the same silver outfit every day, but I'm willing to compromise. I would also like more gadgets with different buttons that light up.

You know, now that I'm thinking about, I think that my current obsession with all of this crap stems from one thing: I always wanted a pair of those L.A. Gear shows and never got 'em. You know, the ones that light up with every step? Yeah, those. I wanted pink ones.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Frank said...

I am also totally bummed at the lack of futuristic technology these days. When I was in elementary school, we had to read old, outdated textbooks that said things like, "By 1986, The United States will have at least 12 colonies on the moon, and if all goes according to schedule, the first Mars base should follow by 1999 at the latest."

So what if we have fuel-efficient cars, wireless internet, microprocessors the size of bacteria, and more computing power in a hand-held phone than all the computers of the 1960s combined? Fuck 'em. I want a hover board. And I want a robot butler and for all my food to come in silvery metallic bags like Jiffy-Pop. That'd be sweet.

I know we don't have this technology yet, but we could at least prepare for it by wearing silver body suits at all times. I know I will.

stef said...

hi, this blog is really long and i haven't read it yet BUT. you linked me! and i don't know you! so i want to say hi! also, this blog is totally named for strangers with candy and that makes you a champ. ok, i'm gonna read it now, for serious.

.elida. said...

Frank: Count me in.

Stef: hi. good to meet you. yes it's totally a reference to strangers with candy and NO ONE else has noticed that yet. period. so, you're the bigger champ. hope you like it.

Rachel said...

ok, finding secret messages to me on blogs is a treat and a smile from a lovely lesbian has to be some sort of good luck sign...well that's what all the straight old people think at least...oh and silver can't be in the future because I do not look good in it...but hell being a mom, no one expects me to look good anyways

Anonymous said...

I would totally look fat in silver, count me out.
However I know that the military is working on this really advanced material that can change from camouflage to almost invisible and everything in between at a press of a button. So we won't have to settle for just plain old, outdated silver! Hola!
Yes and I think you should definitely expound on your family. They would have to be some crazy cool people to have a daughter turn out to be someone as articulate and funny as you.

P.S.
Who is that handsome someone you are with on your my space pic? MMMMMMM......

.elida. said...

Rachel: Thank you so very much. And I have no idea what you're talking about. You look great. But you do have a point; silver is not the most flattering color.

Anonymous ("Dad"): How do you have so much info on top secret government fabrics? Could it be because you are fabulous? Probs/most def, yes. :D

Rachel said...

ah yes, an explanation for my crazy code....scanning your link of blogs you left me a little "hi". I forgot that you don't know that I am easily amused by little things....also shiny things, so maybe silver as a fashion statement will be good for me.